SEO content writing is certainly the key aspect to boost any to every SEO strategy, generate more sales, or increase brand awareness. No doubt there are 200+ ranking factors upon which Google ranks websites on top, but the phrase “Content is King or Queen” is still legitimate to much extent. Search engines spiders are always crawling through your website content checking its legitimacy, relevancy, and user behavior. Thereby, SEO optimized content on your website must be up to date to combat ever-evolving Google algorithms.
Before landing on this post, you might have crawled through multiple guides, tips, and tricks to improve your SEO content writing game. Setting aside the technical factors, an ideal SEO writing should clearly convey the message, keep users engaged, happy, and satisfied while following the search engine’s algorithm rules.
SEO Content Writing vs. Online Writing
Before we get started with the SEO content writing tips, let’s clarify the real difference between SEO writing and simple online writing. So, what differentiates SEO content writing from ordinary online writing? Well, SEO content refers to producing content that is beneficial to both users as well as search engines. SEO writing is a unique skill and is thriving in the digital marketing industry. Thereby, providing value to website visitors and search engines is a crucial way to win big in 2019.
Reasons SEO Content Writing is a Must-Have in 2019
More and more brands are now focusing on SEO content writing to engage users, generate more sales, enhance their brand visibility. Some even make use of freelance writing services available online. Some reasons why SEO content writing is a must-have to rank your site in 2019 are as follows:
- SEO content writing boosts organic search.
- It promotes credibility, trust, and brand awareness.
- High-quality SEO content also means a high-quality user experience.
- SEO content ensures increased conversions, traffic, and engagement.
- It increases the buying cycle.
- Understanding how SEO content writing works will let you know the weather of the web as an SEO writer.
SEO Content Writing Guide
With the ever-evolving search engine algorithms embracing voice-enabled searches, every writer needs to understand the importance of Search Engine Optimization and how ideal SEO content can influence the audience. This ultimate guide to SEO content writing is certainly the most useful piece of information you’ll be reading this morning, afternoon, evening, or night. Follow this post and we’ll let you know everything about SEO content writing and how it can enhance your online appearance.
Make Use of SEO Keywords
Article writing is certainly a fruitful income source for many. People are already making thousands of bucks every month just by offering SEO freelance writing services on different Freelance websites i.e. PPH, Fiverr, Upwork, etc. With that being said, understanding SEO content writing techniques are crucial to stay in the long run as a content writer.
Keywords or Queries act as the backbone of SEO content writing. A keyword is a word or set of words that we use to search various queries in the search engine. You probably landed on this page by searching certain words or phrases including SEO content writing tips, SEO techniques, article writing, writing SEO tools, and so on. Yes, this is how it works. When keywords are placed correctly in a webpage, the search engine crawlers can easily relate your content to a user’s query. At the same time, overdoing keyword density in your content can have a bad impact on your search engine rankings.
Keywords Research Checklist
- Long-Tail Keywords: Never rely on one primary keyword yet maximize your content’s potential by employing multiple long-tail keywords.
- Keyword Density: The preferred keyword density is 1-3%. As discussed earlier, never overdo the keyword density assuming you’ll improve your search engine ranking.
- Keyword Research: Use keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner (Google Ads), KWfinder, Moz, Ahrefs, SEMrush, etc.
- Readability: Make sure not to lose your content readability while embedding keywords in the content. An ideal SEO content writer will always find a way to add keywords naturally in the content.
Keyword research is a prolonged process and might even take longer than the actual writing. In a nutshell, focus on finding keywords with high-volume, medium to low, competition, and add them naturally to the content to maximize SEO results and high search engine placement.
Those days are long gone when SEO content writing was all about stuffing keywords in the content and ranking higher in search engines. Today, search engine algorithms are putting great stress towards content, quality, relevancy, and value. Though it is definitely understandable to make use of your targeted keyword throughout the article, make sure not to overdo or make it look unnatural.
Keywords Placement Checklist
- Primary Keyword: Adding your targeted primary keyword in the title is a good practice.
- H1, H2 Placement: Making use of your targeted keywords within the first 200-300 words, either in h1 or h2, makes it easier for search engine crawlers to analyze your website content.
- Keywords Variation: Use different keyword variations in headings and subheadings. For instance, if your targeted keyword is “SEO tools”, some of its variations would be “SEO tools services”, “SEO tools free trial”, “cheap SEO tools”, and so on.
The above tips ensure optimizing your article for search engine crawlers as well as your targeted audience. It is the main approach of any kind of SEO content writing – engaging users and search engine crawlers.
Writing an SEO Optimized Article
After you’re done completing your SEO (Search Engine Optimization) research, now is the right time to start writing an SEO optimized article. After you have decided the article niche, topic, and finalized the keywords, write a comprehensive outline of your content on your text editor.
SEO Optimized Article Checklist
In this regard, ask yourself the following questions for the best SEO article writing results:
- What is the theme, purpose, and expected output of the writing?
- Who is your targeted audience? Are they teenagers, young, or adults?
- What message do you want to convey to your targeted audience?
- What will be the best structure of your article?
Setting aside the SEO techniques, SEO content writing is also about giving adequate value to the users. Thereby, make sure to consider the mentioned SEO optimized article checklist when writing SEO content for your website or blog.
Ok so you’ve thoroughly done keywords research, placed them perfectly in your SEO article, and now all set to post it on your website, right? To be honest, even the best keywords and quality content in your niche won’t bring you a single lead if your webpage isn’t even indexed.
Concerned about indexing your post? Obviously, it is not the responsibility of an SEO writer to enable site HTTPS, migrate site content, or look after other SEO tactics, but knowing a little about SEO techniques related to SEO content writing would make you stand out over other writers.
Technical SEO Writing Checklist
- Google Crawlers: Know about Google crawlers and how Google spiders’ crawls through your webpages.
- Linking Strategy: Linking your website posts with each other promotes link authority and will boost your posts when getting indexed. Thus, backlinking your posts gives you an edge over other SEO content writers.
- SEO Writing Plugins: Have you been doing on-page SEO all by yourself? Well, making use of SEO writing plugins like Yoast SEO, All in One, Rank Math, etc. will definitely improve your SEO writing skills.
Image Optimization in SEO Writing
As a writer, you might be concerned about the role of images in your SEO writing skills, right? Guess what? Optimized images in your content do not only add value for the users but also for the search engine crawlers. Thus, you’re giving search engine crawlers another reason to grant you high search engine placement.
Having visuals in your articles make them easier to read, understand, engage users. Thus, taking you a step ahead of other SEO content writers. Make sure to optimize the content images per search engines before posting them on your website. Image optimization is the process of making use of SEO tags, description, and alt tags to enhance SEO strategy.
Image Optimization Checklist
- Images Name: Make sure the images used in content are named descriptively and in simple plain language.
- Alt Attributes: Alt Attributes play a key role in optimizing images for search engines. These attributes are the text shown when the browser is unable to load images on the screen. Instead, a text is shown at the corner of the image.
- Image Dimensions: Choose definite image dimensions optimized to be used for site cover image or anywhere else. Moreover, if you’re selling products, use multiple images to showcase all aspects of the product.
- Image Size: More than 50% of the users close a webpage if it doesn’t load within 3 seconds. Larger images can dramatically decrease your site load speed. The perfect resolution is to reduce the image size while keeping the same quality.
With that being said, image optimization is necessary if you want to see your SEO content work better than your competitors.
Top SEO Content Writing Checklist
SEO content writing doesn’t have to be difficult if certain rules are met. Now that we’ve discussed the importance of SEO writing, keywords research, keywords placement, content writing, SEO techniques, and image optimization, let’s get to the basic SEO content writing checklist to enhance your writing skills:
Get Things Together Before You Start
Before getting started with the writeup, know the goal, audience, and headline of your content. Though SEO content writing covers multiple technical aspects, knowing the purpose and goal of the content is still necessary. Devise a definite headline in your mind before writing the best piece of information your audience is craving to read.
SEO content on your webpage must be at least 300 words. Setting aside some webpages containing product descriptions or contact information, a webpage with less than 300 words might be risky for your search engine placement.
Moreover, go through sites shown on the first page under your targeted keywords. If their average word-count is, for example, 1500 words, writing a 2000+ words article can benefit you in the longer run. Yes, content length matters in SEO writing. Furthermore
- Make use of active voice sentences. Keep the passive voice to minimal.
- Use short sentences.
- Always write unique content manually.
- Put up argument sources and more.
Linking your webpages together gives you an edge over those sites who aren’t following this SEO technique. For this, you can link webpages internally, embed keywords in anchor text, externally link your article to high DA PA sites.
An ideal SEO content writer knows the importance of meta description. Even if you intend to work as a freelance SEO writer, you might be writing meta-description with most SEO writeups. However, make sure to keep yourself updated with the Google algorithm metrics when writing meta-description for a post. Some basic tips of writing meta-description are
- It should be under 300 characters
- Make use of the primary keyword in the meta description
Finalizing the Content
Now that you’re done with your SEO content writeup. There’s still adequate work left to make it worth a while. You can still edit your headline and come up with a better one. Even expert SEO content writers change their headline multiple times before posting it on the website. Proofread your article, correct mistakes, and again proofread. Also, check if there are any broken or irrelevant links you unintentionally made while writing.
SEO Content Writing Tips
Following the above SEO content writing tips, practicing them, and implementing them on your webpages will definitely yield you optimal results in digital marketing. You can either start your own business website or work as a freelancer writer – leading to high-paying SEO writing jobs at a digital marketing firm.
SEO content writing is certainly the best digital marketing tactic when you follow a definite process, stick to search engine algorithms’ rules, and provide adequate value to your targeted audience. As much as you want to avail high-placement in search results, never underestimate the content relevancy.
In case of further questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a reply or contact us. We’ll be more than happy to assist. Thank You!